Consumer Unit Changes

One of our most common new installs that is carried out is the installation of a new consumer unit. Throughout the UK many homes contain consumer units that are not compliant with electrical regulations. A new fuse board install will ensure that your property is brought up to current electrical wiring regulation requirement along with the process of an EICR (Electrical inspection condition report) and then with the handing over of appropriate certification.

New consumer units will cover your installation with an RCD or RCBO device. This device is a life-saving device which is designed to prevent you from getting a fatal electric shock if you touch something live, such as a bare wire etc. An RCD is a sensitive safety device that switches off electricity automatically if there is a fault. RCDs offer a level of personal protection that ordinary fuses and circuit-breakers cannot provide. By having a new consumer unit installed with an RCD or RCBO device ensures you have the best means of protection for your installation giving you greater peace of mind.

Also new consumer units are now required to be of a metal specification on new installs. This is due to a change of BS7671 electrical regulations in 2015 requiring that any consumer unit installed must be made of a non-combustible material. All new installs we carry out at J.E.C Electrical Contractors LTD will be of this specification.

Please feel free to contact us on our contact us form if you require any more information regarding the services we offer or information regarding consumer unit changes and we will be more than happy to assist you in wither you need a new consumer unit or not.